1 Timothy 6:13-16
Key words: Sovereignty, authority, power
In every super hero super villain movie, there’s a striving for power. We want to be powerful ourselves.
However, there is no power or authority or strength outside of God in this life. God is not only powerful, but SOVEREIGNLY powerful. He is the life-giving force.
God’s sovereignty is more than just providence.
God has supreme power over all that has been, what is happening, and all that will happen according to His good will. There’s nothing on this earth like God’s sovereignty.
One sentence: When we think about sovereignty, we want to think about supreme power to rule and do as He pleases for His own end.
Sovereingty of God is incredibly fearsome
- When you see incomprehensible power, there should be fear
- FEAR is an appropriate response when you see power
- Job 37:21-24
- Do you recognize God’s sovereignty to a degree in which you have a godly fear of Him?
- We flat out sin and fall into a pattern of sin when we don’t understand what it means to fear God.
- Isaiah 46:8-13
- We look around and see a ton of stuff thats wrong, and we question His sovereingty.
- When we question sovereingty, we have to make sure we’re INQUIRING, not ACCUSING.
- Humbly ask, “How am I supposed to understand my life’s circumstances/the world’s circumstances?”
- You cannot ask “What gives God?”
- We need to first perceive God is sovereign.
- God has the right to viciously rule, and yet He does not
- God in His supreme power does what He pleases. Then what pleases Him?
- His pleasure is to love and redeem
- Exodus 1-2: Moses
- God’s sovereignty is ever-present in how Moses was saved from Pharaoh.
- God seems far. Does God know me?
- God’s grace goes into every little detail of your life, of the world, of the universe.
- On the grand scale, all this goes towards the greater plan.
- Ephesians 1:1-14
- The Almighty Sovereign God delights to forgive repentant sinners
- God’s sovereignty inspires love in us
- Job 38:1-11
- If you don’t know how creation works, how are you going to know how the Creator works?
- Job 40 - Job can’t even answer
- Job 42:2 “I know you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thrwarted”
- What is Job repenting of? He spoke like he knew. “This isn’t right.”
- No matter what is happening in this life in this world, God is absolutely sovereign.